the trials and tribs of an MBA hopeful!

Come join me in coffee shops, hiding in conference rooms at work, and generally giving up my entire social life as I work on my MBA applications!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Ode to my essay reader

Essay readers: to love them or to hate them - that is the question (of the day).

So, I have been feeling pretty darn good about my Kellogg essays. I like that they are creative, light-hearted, and informative. And so did my two readers (and my mom, who i guess doesn't really count as an editor b/c "i love you, honey - these are just great" is just not constructive feedback) :)

Anyway, i was talking online to a close friend who insisted he was totally bored at work and wanted to read my essays. "The more, the merrier," i foolishly thought to myself. (I'm sure you can guess where this one is going.) He didn't like the theme in essay #1 and especially thought i wasted my "i wish the admissions committee had asked me..." on something trivial. (it talks about why my GPA dipped in my senior year.)

Him: "Is this really the last thing you want them to read about you???"
Me: "yes, definitely... well, i think so.... hmmm - i guess it is kinda negative.... OMG - i was going to turn that in?!?!?!"

ARGHHH! The 48 hour deadline until I'm submitting Kellogg has started to feel a little shorter...yikes! But, a big thank you to my essay reader who, though i may have hated him just *a little* today, will be my favorite person if i get accepted :) hee hee

(oh, and yes, this blog counts as total and utter procrastination from the inevitable re-write)

4 Comments:

Blogger Hobbes said...

ha ha, better he than adcom! :)

12:39 AM  
Blogger Iday said...

You write really well.
Now i can imagine what u mean when u say ur essays are creative and light-hearted :)

And no! when it comes to essay readers, more is not merrier. The bottom line is that u shud take review comments with a pinch of salt coz these are your essays and the reader, after all, is not you :)

Make the changes that sound good, but make sure the essays still project who you are, in a way u wanted to.

1:56 AM  
Blogger MBA babe said...

haha - definitely better than adcom!
and thanks, iday! :) And i definitely have learned my lesson - keep readers down to a minimum. hopefully submitting kellogg today!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp, louboutin, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, burberry, ugg boots, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, tiffany and co, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet online, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, replica watches, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, nike free, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home