the trials and tribs of an MBA hopeful!

Come join me in coffee shops, hiding in conference rooms at work, and generally giving up my entire social life as I work on my MBA applications!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Feeling retrospective...

...or perhaps just procrastinating from what is sure to be a long night of essay writing!

If only I had known how much work these applications were going to take, I think I would have approached things a bit differently. Luckily, I have a few more applications to go about things the right way. Some things I wished I had realized along the way:

1) It takes longer than you think! Sure, in college, I could whip out a 10 page paper - in Spanish nonetheless! - over the course of 24 hours. (thank you, red bull and diet dr pepper). However, to really weave all of your essays together and paint a cohesive picture, you need to do something called a rough draft. and draft 2. and 3. and 10. Yeah, that takes time.

2) If you are applying to 3 schools that have the same R1 deadline, you best be finishing your first one at least a month before it's due. (refer to point #1) I did not do that.

3) Choose your proofreaders carefully. I consider myself pretty apt when it comes to grammar, so I picked my readers and gave them specific things to look for. ie - natural leadership, real voice, themes. 2 of them came back with grammar changes. Only 1 came back with content.

4) Don't forget about the data portion of the application! Filling this in last-minute will surely be obvious to the reader.

5) Have a goodbye party. You will not be seeing your friends for awhile. (what? that sounded bitter? no...)

And before I go edit my awful kellogg's essays - one bright spot of the day: did you know on abc.com you can watch the shows you missed?? Grey's anatomy will not be lost to me forever... :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Hobbes said...

U loooove Grey's Anatomy, dontcha? :p

As for proof reader, very very imp to request ONLY those who can help u polish the content, atleast the first 1/2 rounds. Leave the ones who proofread for grammer and style for the end. Or if u r good enuf, chuck it altogether.

This was one of the most critical mistakes I made last yr - Both my reviewers exclusively gave me feedback on grammer than content. A mistake that I am rectifying this yr.

And yes, u will go into a hibernation... Its sad, but true. I was at an office do last night. I am not kidding when I say this, but even when on the dance floor, I was constantly thinking abt the essays, transcripts, will my recommender submit it on time blah blah blah. Couldnt shake my legs for more than a couple of mins before my mind wandered off. Finally left it after 1.5 hrs, no point in torturing myself with the worry. Came back n cursed myself for becoming a moron like this, but was able to finish the work I'd planned to :(

11:18 PM  
Blogger Hobbes said...

BTW,when I wrote chuck it altogether, I meant only if ur reviewers checked out that aspect as well. Gramatical errors in an essay are a strict no no.

11:19 PM  
Blogger MBA babe said...

thanks for the feedback, hobbes - definitely appreciate it! (and yes, i have an unnatural obsession w/ grey's!) ;) totally agree on the proofreaders - i don't care if someone tells me my essays suck! i just want the honest truth so i can rectify the situation...

12:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp, louboutin, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, burberry, ugg boots, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, tiffany and co, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet online, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, replica watches, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, nike free, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max

7:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hollister, moncler, barbour, coach outlet, pandora charms, moncler, moncler outlet, moncler, ugg boots uk, wedding dresses, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose, moncler, ray ban, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, links of london, louis vuitton, doudoune canada goose, converse, canada goose, pandora charms, swarovski, karen millen, canada goose outlet, replica watches, thomas sabo, pandora jewelry, swarovski crystal, barbour jackets, bottes ugg, pandora jewelry, canada goose, vans, montre pas cher, converse outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, gucci, canada goose, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, supra shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, moncler, toms shoes, lancel, ugg pas cher
ninest123 16.03

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home