the trials and tribs of an MBA hopeful!

Come join me in coffee shops, hiding in conference rooms at work, and generally giving up my entire social life as I work on my MBA applications!

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Kellogg essays: a breakthrough in the 11th hour

I received some advice from a Ross alum the other day: "Remember, be yourself." A simple suggestion, but after reading through my Kellogg materials, I realize the value of her words. I couldn't see myself in any of the long essays I had written. My content was too generic, addressing everything I imagined Kellogg wanted to hear, nothing that reflects my true character.

Huddled in my local coffee shop surrounded by the 'regulars' playing competitive chess (seriously), I took a good hard look at my long essays . Then, though it pained me, I started over again. From scratch. I rewrote Essays 1 and 2 tonite, and when I re-read them, these first drafts were much better than the version I was preparing to submit. My essays were more light-hearted and lively, which is a much more accurate reflection of my personality. With enough motivation, I still think the R1 deadline on Friday is possible.

I feel inspired for the first time in awhile.

The other thing I was thinking about today is how critical I have become of myself. Just 3 months ago, I was proud of my GMAT, my GPA, and my experiences. Reading through the BW forums (a seemingly cruel and unusual form of torture) and comparing myself to other applicants, I forget why a program would even want me! I think from now on I will stick to blogs - it make me feel better to see others out there who are just making a good old honest attempt to get accepted to school.

I'm still brand new to the MBA applicant blogging community - but thanks for reading my thoughts and keeping up your blogs despite the impending R1 deadlines.

Anyway, off to watch Grey's (finally - i hear she makes a decision - hooray!)

10 Comments:

Blogger Iday said...

//The other thing I was thinking about today is how critical I have become of myself.
I'm going thru the same emotion :)

A Wharton first year warned me about BW forums. So i managed to escape that torture. But it is that kind of a time :)

As u said - we cannot do anything but a honest attempt with what we are!
All the best with ur Kellogg App.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Hobbes said...

Ya, BW forums suck! Ppl there areimmature, and only because they can hide behind their nicks.

But some threads run by adcoms are good, the CBS one for example. Also chk Ask Sandy, its fun :)

Somehow ppl seem more honest and mature on their blogs, even though they offer the same anonymity...

11:07 PM  
Blogger Hobbes said...

BTW, where all u apping to?

11:20 PM  
Blogger MBA babe said...

thanks, iday and hobbes! Yeah i am definitely trying to steer clear these days. not worth the mental angst they are causing me!! I am applying R1 to Harvard and Kellogg; R2 to Stanford, Haas, and Columbia.

Best of luck to you both! :)

12:27 AM  
Blogger Hobbes said...

You should list your blog with Hella. You'd get more applicants hitting your blog then.

The MBA Applicants blogs you see on clear admit blog and W adcom blog are generated from that list. More here: http://opencoder.org/mbablogs/applicants/

BTW, Jst blogged abt what we both have been ranting abt for a while: lack of social life :)

6:34 AM  
Blogger Iday said...

hobbes - she's already there in Hella's list. I reached here from the list :)

7:43 AM  
Blogger MBA babe said...

yep! i added myself a few days ago... almost all of my hits have come since then :) great resource!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Hobbes said...

Ooops! Sorry, a little too used to giving gyaan (wisdom), what with being a reapplicant and all! :)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp, louboutin, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, burberry, ugg boots, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, tiffany and co, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet online, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, replica watches, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, nike free, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max

7:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hollister, moncler, barbour, coach outlet, pandora charms, moncler, moncler outlet, moncler, ugg boots uk, wedding dresses, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose, moncler, ray ban, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, links of london, louis vuitton, doudoune canada goose, converse, canada goose, pandora charms, swarovski, karen millen, canada goose outlet, replica watches, thomas sabo, pandora jewelry, swarovski crystal, barbour jackets, bottes ugg, pandora jewelry, canada goose, vans, montre pas cher, converse outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, gucci, canada goose, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, supra shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, moncler, toms shoes, lancel, ugg pas cher
ninest123 16.03

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home