the trials and tribs of an MBA hopeful!

Come join me in coffee shops, hiding in conference rooms at work, and generally giving up my entire social life as I work on my MBA applications!

Friday, May 04, 2007

I suppose it's time to make a decision...

I promised an update to some of you on Stanford's admit weekend. I also promised myself I'd make a decision by the end of this week. Well, it's T minus 7 hours now. Here's where I stand!

I was pretty anxious for Stanford's admit weekend - truthfully, I was either hoping to hate it or be blown away. I thought the weekend was great...but so was harvard's. Let me break down some of the highlights of the weekend:

1. Meeting the fellow admits. The first day of these things is fun, but exhausting. The string of: "where are you from? where do you work? what do you do? are you decided? what are you doing this summer?" gets old after the first 15 people. But, I felt like I moved past that with more than a few people and had no problem envisioning them as my future classmates! :)

2. Learning more about the new curriculum. I have read and heard bits and pieces about the new, more personalized Stanford curriculum, but feeling like a guinea pig makes me a wee bit nervous. We spent an hour and a half going through the changes, which I think are important but not a complete overhaul of the current program (phew!) I like that you have a lot of flexibility in choosing your classes - while you have to take, let's say, a finance class. You have a choice of 3 different finance classes to fulfill that requirement. A finance guru will never waste his time sitting in finance 101. Also, they are trying to take all the competencies and bring them together in a couple leadership classes & seminars. Innovative: yes. Scary-reinventing the wheel-I won't know anything when I graduate and hence no one will want to hire me: no. (welcome to the irrational inner-world of mba babe!)

3. Flexibility. I got the feeling at Stanford that I could do/be/try anything I wanted. The program really is that flexible. Want to try your hand at entrepreneurship and work a few hours a week w/ an entrepreneur in the bay area? check! Want to take classes at the design school, law school, etc without jumping through a bunch of logistical hoops? check! Want to learn a language but never leave the business school? check! Want to have 2 internships including a 4-week international stint? check!

4. The weather. Silly, yes, but considering my post-mba goals include moving to a place that has a real winter, I could hold out on the snow for another couple years.

5. Derrick Bolton's welcome speech. There is someone in the admitted class that won medals at the olympics! and 2 navy seals! and a tae kwan do champion! he really made each admit feel like they were about to embark on a special journey with a special group of people...the perfect start to the weekend, and many said it was the highlight. Go Derrick!

Sooo...all that raving? Why haven't I sent in my deposit yet?

1. It is hard to say no to harvard. (yep, i said it) And I really liked it both times I visited, even more importantly. So, if i choose stanford, will i regret it?

2. Alumni network. Where I see myself post-MBA has more harvard peeps running around than stanford.

3. Classroom dynamic. Sitting in the same class with the same 90 people for a year creates a unique dynamic - I think this is unparalleled.

Sooo...why haven't I made a decision?

1. Although I know this is my decision, I've received a lot of different input on each school from important people in my life. Seems to be clouding my judgment in an "i don't want to disappoint" type of way.

2. The boyfriend. He's really supportive of my decision either way, but obv it would be easier if I stayed in the area. (yes, this is the boy that is the ONE!) ;) Is it worth it to sacrifice the life we have together now and spend 2 years apart when it's not absolutely necessary?

3. I am a wimp. I know, I need to just commit and I will be happy at either. and i know "i can't go wrong at either" (trust me, that is the saying of the week). But it doesn't matter where you are deciding between, it is a huge decision!

sigh. i'll post again at the end of the day.

13 Comments:

Blogger Rico's Mom said...

I know it's a difficult decision but you are so fortunate to have that decision to make! Good luck with figuring it all out! As you already know, you can't go wrong either way!

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I know you? Are the initials of your bf CM?

3:48 PM  
Blogger Inblue said...

wow ! that's so much to think. Good luck !

7:50 PM  
Blogger the being said...

hey, coming here after a while...
first of all - congrats on BOB!

Harward or Stanford, huh? Not many ppl have to choose between #1 and #2. I hope u r happy with watever decision u make :)

9:26 PM  
Blogger the being said...

hey, coming here after a while...
first of all - congrats on BOB!

Harward or Stanford, huh? Not many ppl have to choose between #1 and #2. I hope u r happy with watever decision u make :)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Forrest Gump said...

stop teasing us already....come on, decide pls ;-)

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of either school - harvad and stafford - so I guess you can't go wrong! *chuckle*

10:12 PM  
Blogger MBA babe said...

thanks for all of the comments - glad to be decided!

@anon: nope!! but good to know there are other people in my position :)

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy propecia buy propecia canada - propecia use in women

11:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

kate spade outlet, hogan, coach outlet, michael kors, sac longchamp, nike air max, nike free run uk, ralph lauren pas cher, longchamp pas cher, coach outlet, nike blazer, vans pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, lacoste pas cher, air max, burberry, kate spade handbags, michael kors, mulberry, michael kors, nike free, tn pas cher, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, hollister pas cher, louboutin pas cher, michael kors, abercrombie and fitch, air jordan pas cher, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, sac guess, hollister, oakley pas cher, ralph lauren uk, converse pas cher, replica handbags, north face, air force, true religion jeans, nike roshe, nike roshe run, timberland, new balance pas cher, hermes, vanessa bruno, nike air max, coach purses, ray ban pas cher, north face

7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hollister, moncler, barbour, coach outlet, pandora charms, moncler, moncler outlet, moncler, ugg boots uk, wedding dresses, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose, moncler, ray ban, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, links of london, louis vuitton, doudoune canada goose, converse, canada goose, pandora charms, swarovski, karen millen, canada goose outlet, replica watches, thomas sabo, pandora jewelry, swarovski crystal, barbour jackets, bottes ugg, pandora jewelry, canada goose, vans, montre pas cher, converse outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, gucci, canada goose, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, supra shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, moncler, toms shoes, lancel, ugg pas cher
ninest123 16.03

7:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Vaš članak je super!
Pogledajte službi sebe.in giấy khen giá rẻ
Dionica Društva u crvenom post je ponosan ponuditi više od 10.000 jedinica formira lijepe omotnice za velike i male tvrtke u zemlji i inozemstvu. S tim kvalificiranih dizajn mau giay khen depprofesionalno, ima dugogodišnje iskustvo u industriji i uz napredne tehnologije tiskanja i najmodernije danas će pomoći korisnicima da stvaraju lijepe grafike kuverte -dịch vụ in phong bì Profesionalni - College razina.
Omotnica usluga je popularan proizvod u grafičkoj industriji, može se tumačiti kao objekatathiết kế phong bì koji se nalaze u njemu i za ostale proizvode koji sadrže uglavnom u obliku tanke predmete pribora (u 3 veličine je imaju najmanje veličine relativno mali udio u usporedbi s drugim veličinama).dịch vụ in catalogue

Omotnice s 2 vrste su tiskani ili ne ispisuju tip, mogu biti izrađene od papira ili mẫu catalogue đẹpplastike, tkanine ..., vrijeme može koristiti različite ... dugi ili kratki rok, địa chỉ in catalogpostoji mnogo različitih veličina, ima prozora ili bez prozora, sin thẻ tích điểm ljepljivom trakom na raspolaganju / lizanje ljepila / ljepilo dvije komponente ili ne. Ovdje su neke međunarodni standard format koji korisnici mogu odnositi na:mẫu thẻ tích điểm

9:01 PM  
Blogger deraz said...

خدمات المحترفون
أعمال البلاستر بدبى
صيانة منازل وفلل فى دبى

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home